Saturday morning, 5 o'clock. The shower starts to shower (run?). Right, it's me, being as crazy as normally and getting up at 5 o'clock on a saturday. Why? Well, we decided to go and visit Pearl Harbor. Some ingenious people told us, that it would be a good idea, to go as early as possible (and take about 50$ with us, for the ticket). So, we thought it should be good, if we arrive at Pearl Harbor at 8 o'clock, the time the center opens. Okay. Great.
So, we met at the Ala Moana Shopping Center and hopped on the Bus A to ... somewhere. Don't ask me. Just Bus A on the Kentucky-Fried-Chicken-Side of the Kapiolani Boulevard. Correct. That's my name of the bus. Very easy, isn't it?
However, we arrived punctual at 8 o'clock. And what did we see? Right. A very long line. WTF? First of all, we had to get rid of our bags, because we weren't allowed to take them to the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial (why... the boat allready sunk?)
Howsoeverlong the line was (it was not sooo long, I'm just exaggerating a bit), we finally ended up in the Visitor Center. As soon as we came in, a Lady rushed towards us and asked "Do want an audio tour? It's only for 5$!" Well, we haven't payed yet our tickets, so I thought I wouln't do that, because I didn't wanted to spend so much money and anyway, it's better to read the signs on english than to have an audio tour on german.
On these blue signs are all (I think so) people aufgelisted, who had died in Pearl Harbor.
We walked a bit around in the visitor center and at about 8'40pm we were invited to go into the theater and watch a film about Pearl Harbor. Not THAT movie (with Josh Hartnett...) :-) It was quite interessting and also shocking. I never realised, that over 1000 people died only on the USS Arizona. And thats only from one boat. There were a few others, that sank totally. Oh boy...
On the boat to the USS Arizona Memorial
The USS Arizona Memorial
A bit history: On december 7th in 1941 - a sunday morning - the military base in Pearl Harbor was attacked. It was a surprise attack, the army saw the planes from the japaneses on the radar, but they thought it would be the Bomber soandsomuch from California, which they were waiting for this morning. Wrong thought. At 8 o'clock the attack began and lastet until 10 o'clock. About 2500 people died in this two hours. The USS Arizona - a battle ship - sank completely in less than 10 minutes and all the staff on the boat died.
One part of the USS Arizona looks out (?) of the water.
This are all the people, who died on the USS Arizona. It is very impressive to see that...
You can see here another part (or parts) of the USS Arizona, sticking out of the water. The oil you can see on the water is called 'The tears of the Arizona'
After the Visitor Center we were all a bit tired and bored. Well, not all. Michael and I prefered to see a submarine than to go to the beach with the others. So we payed 7$ (the only ticket I bought that day. For what should I need the 50$?) - because of our cool Hawaiian ID we got a discount.
Me, standing in front of the Bowfin
Sleeping in a Submarine. I prefer my bed...
We could walk durch the whole submarine and we saw the places where the soldiers used to sleep, the room of the captain, the kitchen, the toilet, the big-fridge and stuff like that. I would never live in a submarine, because there is no space for nothing. It's horrible. If I weren't so small, I would bump my head everywhere. Horrible. And there are so many levers and buttons, I would even know how to start that thing. Well... I'm happy I don't know.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen